Monday, April 7, 2014

Scenes From Life: Act 2 Scene 4

Scene: a long hallway, lined with doors. GIRL stands in the center of the hallway wearing a backpack. PROFESSOR, FRIEND, COWORKER, STUDENT, PARENT, DIRECTOR, and BOSS enter and exit the doors Scooby-Doo style. Each time one of that group delivers a line, he or she places a heavy medicine ball in GIRL's arms or backpack. At first only one of the group appears onstage at the same time as GIRL but as the scene progresses their entrances and exits overlap and their traffic patterns grow increasingly chaotic. GIRL's feet remain planted.

PROFESSOR: Exams are approaching, don't forget you have this project

BOSS: I'm going to need you to cover this shift

FRIEND: Can you help me with my presentation?

DIRECTOR: Research her history and decide on her motivations

COWORKER: I have to leave, will you come in early tomorrow?

PARENT: Did you forget about your cousin's birthday?

STUDENT: We really need to start our project, when can you meet?

entrances and exits begin to overlap

PROFESSOR: I really want you to register for my next class

FRIEND: I never see you anymore! Let's hangout this Friday!

DIRECTOR: Great, come in rehearsal shoes and dress tomorrow

COWORKER: Thanks for covering me!

PARENT: You should come home, I'm making your favorite

STUDENT: You're really better at revising than I am...

Increasingly chaotic. Some characters may shove or throw their medicine balls

PROFESSOR: Exams are in TWO WEEKS

BOSS: Where is your time sheet?

FRIEND: Are you avoiding me or something?

DIRECTOR: There's no energy in this scene, you gotta take the air out!

COWORKER: I forgot to check these in

PARENT: When are you going to clean your room?

STUDENT: Can you tell me where I can find-

FRIEND: Where have you been?

TEACHER: You have three papers due before-

BOSS: Why have you been coming in late?

Stack of medicne balls in GIRL's arms is becoming impossibly high

COWORKER: What's our policy on-

BOSS: Send an email to every-

FRIEND: Saturday, come to my-

STUDENT: Mandatory meeting this-

PARENT: Whatever happened to that-

DIRECTOR: Lines, lines, lines!

TEACHER: I hope you haven't forgotten-

GIRL: STOP!

All but GIRL freeze and slowly exit through doors. When all have exited, girl staggers under the weight of the medicine balls and falls backwards. They land on top of her. Blackout.

~Alicen

I just want to sleep
But now's when I remember
Forgotten homework

^That haiku was lame
So is my social life... my
Twitter's still funny(?)

No comments:

Post a Comment