Monday, February 3, 2014

Diamonds Are a Girl's Patriarchal Enemy

It's about time this blog stirred up a little controversy, so in the hopes that some neck-bearded "Red Pill" Redditor/ "Return of Kings" nutjob should stumble upon my humble blog I'd like to post some of my crazy bra-burning bodyhair-relishing feminist thoughts. This one is borrowed from something I wrote for class.

So today I was checking out people’s reaction to the Coca-cola ad shown at the Super-Bowl when I found this article http://happyplace.someecards.com/29052/5-things-you-should-at-least-pretend-to-know-today-february-3-2014 which introduced me to JCPenny’s “drunk tweets” during the Superbowl (the head of social media at JC Penny was actually texting with mittens on to promote their new Olympic Mittens, but check it out, they absolutely come off as intoxicated- Kia Motors asked if they wanted a designated driver. ha!)
Next I decided to visit the JC Penny twitter page myself in order to see the tweets, when I found this: https://twitter.com/jcpenney/status/430013553030881280/photo/1
Just in case that link doesn’t work/you have an irrational fear of twitter, that’s a picture advertising some diamond earrings with a tweet that says “You can throw these rocks at girls.” Edit: Of course, the day that I posted this, JCP Decided to take down the month-old ad
Okay, I realize that the US is not known for it's competency in international affairs, nor do I pretend to be especially literate in world goings-on, but I'd like to point out that it's only been THREE MONTHS since Afghanistan barely managed to keep public stoning as punishment for adultery from being reinstated as law (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/28/stoning-not-brought-back-afghan-president-karzai )
 And it's attitudes like this that diminish that hard-won victory for women's rights/human rights.


Also, the target audience for this confuses me a bit. Like, JCP decided to use a joke about “throwing rocks at girls” to win the hearts of… 
I suppose the much sought after demographic of American men who follow dept. stores on twitter and are also devoted to following the letter of sharia law. 
Or maybe all the people out there who wish they could throw rocks at girls? 
People who find violence against women hilarious?

Perhaps they are simply responding to a recent influx of people messaging JCP and asking what types of rocks are okay to throw at women, and "Diamonds" was at once the most lucrative and least logical answer they could provide for such a ludacris question.
-Not to mention all the MEN with ear piercings being hatefully excluded from this diamond-throwing extravaganza (men as a gender group are SOOO persecuted- amirite, neck-beards?)

  Hard to believe that the mitten-texts made news, but their demented sense of humor hasn't.


~Alicen

Feminism is
a word for equalism
Just love everyone

No comments:

Post a Comment